August 20, 2011

Ledges are up.

About 5 months ago, I bought a few floating wall ledges from the Restore for a few bucks each. I painted them white and then they just sat gathering dust. Then I moved and was moving furniture around like crazy and couldn't decide on a spot for them. But once I found an arrangement that I loved, I decided on a spot for the ledges and hung them all by myself :-)

Here we are before...
 And here we have the after!!
The shelves are sparsely staged - I feel like I need some special for the bottom shelf but I'm not sure what that is just yet. I plan on shopping my house and will figure out what looks best in the long run but it works for now! 
The mirror is from IKEA and I picked up the lamp from TJ Maxx this week. The blue matches my bedding perfectly and I loved the shape! It was $30 but I had a $25 gift card, so it only cost me $5...which is more my style. The camera belonged to my grandpa and I already had the gray vase and just filled it with a few fresh flowers from the yard.

Now I could just end this post here and make you think that everything went super smooth and that hanging these shelves was a breeze. But I can't do that...because it wasn't! I was nervous about hanging them because I've never quite grasped the idea of anchors but knew I would need them for this project. I looked in my supplies and surprisingly had some!

I used a drill bit, hammered in the anchor and then screwed in the screw - but it took me two tries to get it right! The first set was just...how should I say it...off. Kind of loose. It didn't feel quite right. I'm not sure what went wrong but I did what any logical person would do, I took it down hung the shelf anyway.
 And I paid the price because as the shelf fell, I broke this sweet little yellow vase that belonged to my grandmother.
Ugh...after getting over the frustration and anger at myself for breaking that...I carried on. Unscrewed the bad ones and did it all over again...with much better results.

 This experience reminds me of this little guy I saw on Pinterest...
Not in this case, my friend, not in this case.

Anyway, the end result is nice and secure (I think!) and has been up for 8 hours with no sign of coming down!
Having this project finished gives me two walls in my bedroom that I absolutely love (the other one is the wall my bed is against.) Of the walls I'm still working on, one stores my hutch (post on that coming soon!) and the other is the window wall with a sewing machine desk and these cane chairs.
I love the chairs but I really want to reupholster them soon and I need another table to put between them, because this one is currently being used as a nightstand. Hmm...I think a trip to the fabric store is in my future!

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Not all wall anchors are made the same, for stuff that will carry weigh and be placed into drywall, you need to get the heavier duty ones, they tend to open up more once they are put into the wall. I'm very paranoid when it comes to hanging stuff (Ask Lori) so I always tend to over do it a bit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over doing it in that area isn't necessarily a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete