Once that was finally done, I layed the old pieces out in order to use them as a template for the new fabric. The old chair had tufting and since this was my first time experimenting with reupholstering I decided to skip the tufting and just filled in the wholes with cotton balls. Normally, you'd want to use some sort of batting but I didn't have any and I wasn't going to make a trip to Joann's just for that so I improvised! Now it was time for the fun stuff! I pulled out the staple gun and attached the new fabric to the cushion! Let me just tell you, I could have stapled all day!! Which now that I think about it, that's probably the reason there were so many staples to begin with - it's easy to get carried away! And this picture gives you a sneak peak at the fabric I chose! Next I took the chair outside and spray painted it granite. It only took 2 coats and this pic was after the first coat. The back cushion was pretty strongly attached...it was probably glued on and still in good condition so I just left it on. After it dried, I brought it back inside and started recovering the back of the chair - it was a little tricky just making sure that everything got tucked in smoothly but even that part wasn't too difficult.
October 15, 2010
Cane Chair Makeover.
I've been wanting to attempt chair reupholstering for awhile now and it finally happened yesterday! I took the day off because I had a plumber doing some work on the house and figured I'd put my time off to good use! So I ventured into the garage and pulled out this beauty! This chair (it has a twin sister, too!) belonged to my grandmother and from the stories I've heard she loved this thing! Before I began, I had done a ton of research on reupholstering chairs and most of the sites I found had this long list of supplies I would need and detailed step by step instructions...but all I used were scissors - to cut the new fabric, a drill - to remove the monstrously large screws holding the cushion in place, needle nose pliers - to remove the ridiculous amount of staples, and a staple gun - to recover the cushions.
Other than the cushion...it was in great condition! So I unscrewed the bottom cushion and got to work removing the staples. This was the most time consuming part of the process. It took me a good 2 hours to remove all the staples and old upholstery.
So here are a few shots of the after...
The back... So one more time...here's the before:
And the after!!
I love it, I love it, I love it!! This chair is now one of my favorite things in my living room. Overall, I'm super happy about the way it turned out. I can see a few imperfections but it's nothing that I can't get over and I will not be pointing them out any time soon!
I have another pretty grand idea that I've been bouncing around that involves a little reupholstering and some other stuff so this was project was great practice! Until next time...