August 26, 2011

I heart organizing, too.

A friend of mine recently introduced me to an amazing blog called I Heart Organizing. It's amazing and a recent post about kitchen cabinets really inspired me to tackle my kitchen and get it organized! I've started with my pantry and freezer but let me give you a reminder of what the kitchen looks like...
 And there you have it! Ha...you think I'm kidding? I'm not...that's really it. This is the opposite wall - a side door.
 Since it's so small, it's imperative that I get it organized and that it functions well. I don't have a whole lot of counter space which isn't so bad because I don't really cook. I think I've used the stove maybe three times since I've lived here. But regardless of that, I like to keep clutter at bay and only recently bought a juicer so that has a home on the counter along with my grandmother's vintage Sunkist citrus juicer. I don't own a coffee maker and I never make toast so I don't have to contend with those appliances on the counter.

As of today, I only have the freezer and pantry done so I'll be showing you those and hopefully, I'll tackle the other cabinets and drawers this weekend!

 When I first moved in, I was mostly focused on unpacking boxes and trying to find a place for everything! I had far fewer cabinets to work with and went from a full length pantry to one half the size. I managed to cram everything in but it looked bad and I had no real system. I mean I had cereal and pasta shoved into the same area...yikes! What was I thinking?  So I pretty much emptied the whole thing, moved stuff around and now I have a pantry that is functional and pretty to look at! I didn't buy any fancy organizers organizers so this was a free makeover! And I can't help but think of "Sleeping with the Enemy" when I look at the cans :-)
Next up is my freezer! Never in my life would I have thought to use containers to organize my frozen goods, but now that I have, I can't imagine going back! This is straight out of the blog I mentioned earlier...I used all of her ideas and I'm so glad I did. She's a genius and I love it!
You may not think the before is unorganized (and I would agree...it's just better now!)
The containers on top are medium size multi-purpose bins from The Container Store ($4.99 each) and the bottom ones are from Target ($2.50 each). I still have to label them but when I do I'll have vegetables, fruit, breakfast, meats, and ready to go meals.
As for the fridge, there isn't really much to organize but here's a picture of it anyway :-)
 Water or condiments, anyone?

That's all I have today but here's a sneak peek at the three drawers coming up! These drawers are below my stove and one is for utensils (one can't have too many whisks, right?) and the other two for pots and pans.
They definitely need some work and I'm strangely eager to get started!

I hope you all have a great weekend...happy organizing!

3 comments:

  1. I would of never of thought of to use containers in the fridge or freezer. What a good idea and thanks for passing it along.

    Loraine
    http://loraine-breakfastfordinner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. SMALL KITCHEN DESIGN PLANS
    Do you know how to make small sized kitchen design? In my opinion, makes the design a kitchen with a small size is not difficult because a lot of guidelines on how to make small kitchen design with ease on the internet. Make small kitchen design needs good planning so that the results are satisfactory. One good design concepts for small-sized kitchen is a modern concept of kitchen design. The concept of this design offers a kitchen function optimally. In my opinion, this concept is very good idea because it can maximize kitchen space effectively and efficiently. Important link Remodel Kitchen Ideas, faucets Direct, and Prefacing Kitchen Cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete