May 31, 2013

Campaign Makeover.

Seeing this little campaign style table at the Habitat for Humanity Restore was love at first sight!
Despite it's broken drawer thing and dull hardware, I knew this little thing could be a real beauty. I've had some favorite pieces over the years and this is ranking pretty high on that list right now!
 
Want to see what she has become....
 I love it so much!! This piece took a little while to complete but it's so worth it!

First off, if you noticed in the first picture it came with a drawer front that pulls down. It was sitting on top when I bought it so I knew I'd either have to repair it or ditch it.  Ultimately, I chose to ditch it. The wood on the drawer was splitting and the little metal arch pictured below was damaged on the other side and repairing it was beyond my skill set.
But thankfully, each piece of campaign hardware was intact and beautiful! I love how the corner pieces wrap around to the other side!
Removing them is another story! That whole process took a bit of time and those corner pieces were a little tricky since but I managed it! If you're ever working on a piece of furniture with campaign hardware, they tend to come off fairly easily. You just need to use a flat head screwdriver and gently wedge it in there. Then you slowly pry it back until you've loosened the little nail that's holding it in place.
Once that's done, you could then use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the nail straight out.
There were a lot of little nails to pull out! But it gave me an excuse to use this cute little hand made pottery dish :-)
 After I was all done removing the hardware, it was time to give it a fresh coat of gold metallic spray paint.

And you can't forget the nails!
Next step was filling in the holes left by the now absent drawer front. I actually did this step before I painted the hardware because I had to do a few coats and let it dry before I could sand it smooth.
 It worked like a charm and it kind of looks like it was meant to be this way from the beginning :-)
While the hardware dried, I gave the whole thing a coat of Zinnser Cover Stain Primer.
 Then I did two coats of Valspar Ultra Paint + Primer in White. Since I painted this indoors, I got a low-odor and zero VOC formula and it was perfect!

After letting everything dry overnight (the hardest part by far!!), I put the hardware back on and I was left with this beauty...
It feels so classic...
And I'm so tempted to keep her especially since she fits in so well in with her gold accents!
 
And because I love a good side by side, one last picture...
I did list her on Craigslist but just between you and me, I priced it kind of high because I *think* I want to keep her :-)
 
 Linked up to...
Embracing Change Weekend Bloggy Reading
 


5 comments:

  1. It's so stinkin' gorgeous and like you said, classic. Awesome job and I actually like it better without the drawer front.

    I'm visiting from Serenity Now.. hope you'll stop by and say hello sometime!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a great piece! Hope she doesn't sell so you can keep her ;o)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job! Love the before and after side-by-side. Keep it if you haven't sold it already :)

    ReplyDelete