November 3, 2011

My new wreath.

After I posted my DIY pipe insulation wreath form failure, I received several comments from other DIY'ers who endured the same problem. And let me just say that I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't figure it out! I even got a few tips on how to prevent the buckling and keep the form round! If I ever try that again, I'll be sure to keep those in mind! Here's a reminder of what it looked like...yikes!
 Since I wanted a perfectly round wreath, I opted for a legit wreath form from Michael's - and it was less than $5 and there wasn't an ounce of frustration while dealing with it, so I'd say it's worth it!
 I was able to save my gray and purple rosettes from the aforementioned wreath and made about two dozen white ones opting for a very simple layout - white rosettes with a little cluster of gray and purple!
It felt a little plain at this point, so I took an "R" that I had laying around and hung it from the wreath using purple ribbon. Oh and I learned something new!! You can buy ribbon by the yard at Michael's! So simple, yet I had no idea! And it was something like .80 cents a yard and it's forever changed my ribbon buying habits :-)
Oooh...much better but the letter was off white in color and didn't pop as much as I would have liked against my white door... 
 So I dug around my spray paint collection and opted for a metallic silver. I think it gives it just the right amount of oomph and shine for the holidays!
 
 And I love the way it looks as I walk up to the door - perfectly round!
It's pretty at night, too!

Here's the breakdown...

Wreath form - $5
Letter R - already had
Felt - $4
Ribbon - $0.80
Spray paint - already had

The total cost of this project...$9.80! Not bad at all, considering the wreaths I've been eyeing at Target are upward of $40!

1 comment: